gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Questions

As adoptive parents, Greg and I knew going into this journey that we would be faced with lots of questions. Unlike non-adoptive parents, most adoptive parents feel as though they enter into this quest with a pocketful of answers. From the beginning we had questions from our friends and family. (Why did you choose adoption?) As we went out into the world with our children we got questions from strangers. (Where is he from?) Reading adoptive parenting magazines, attending a seminar that was required by our agency, and connecting with other adoptive families, we have armed ourselves with answers to the questions that our children will inevitably ask us. (Why couldn't my birthparents raise me?) I am ready for those questions. I have answers all planned out using correct terminology and reassuring vocabulary to make sure that when the time comes, I will be ready to tell my children exactly what I want them to hear.

Then there are some questions that no one prepared me for. Nothing was ever mentioned in a magazine I read or even among the moms chatting at the playground. Sometimes I suppose I just need to be ready to be quick on my feet.

Like the other day when I was sitting on the couch minding my own business and Marcus suddenly asked, "May I see your penis, Mommy? Please?"

I might have been even more caught off guard with the question had I not been so distracted by my joy in the wonderful manners my son has.

1 Comments:
At 2:44 PM, Blogger jen said...

Eh...at least he asked you at home on the couch. Next time he'll be asking his teacher or another kid at school. Hehehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home