gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pepto to Perfecto

This Thanksgiving week I have countless things to be thankful for. One thing is my awesome friends. I have a whole group of girls that are very special to me, but this post is about just two of them. Way back in May I posted about how Will was now sleeping in his crib converted into a toddler bed. (Since then he has had to go back to sleeping back in the confined crib since he was not behaving himself.) I posted here a picture of him all happy in his room... his very very pink room. We had named the color of his room "Radioactive Pepto Bismol". The room was that color when we moved in and we just never had figured out how to manage painting it with two little kids running around. That post sparked an email from The Boss's mom and my friend and fellow AK. These two awesome friends of mine offered up their time and step ladders and came to help fix that awful paint job.

I didn't take too many before pictures because it was just so hideous. I took this shot a couple days after we moved in. I know it is hard to look beyond those pink walls, but take notice to that dark purple trim everywhere. The entire window frame was also that lovely color as well.


We were all pretty busy over the summer so we put off the project for a bit. In August I ripped down the boarder (which was an easy job thankfully). Will just isn't a flowers and butterfly kind of guy.


The colors were so (hideously) vibrant, that my expert painting friends felt that we should break the project up into two days. Day 1 was in October where the entire room (except the door stopper and doors) was covered with primer.






The room was so pink that the kids never noticed that the doors were yellow until we put the primer up. After the coat of primer, the pink still showed through. The trim probably could have used a second coat of primer to cover up that dark purple. Will's room was somewhat reassembled as we waited for a time the painting could resume. A month passed. Even though there was just primer on the walls, that room was still so much more pleasant than it had been in it's complete pink horror.

At last, it was time to add some pleasing color to those walls. My friends were back and the paint can was cracked. It took two coats on the trim and one coat on the walls, but at last, the room is glorious! We leave the door open now. The kids enjoy being in there. Will is starting to consider that room to actually be his, and not just a room he sleeps in. We still don't have anything on the walls (apart from paint), but we are getting there.




The original plan was to paint the doors white to match the trim. Greg suggested that we just leave them yellow to add more color to the room. I was fine with being done with painting so yellow they are.


I would like to point out how nice this light switch plate looks with the color that we chose. The previous owners could have just used that same boarder and light switch plate and painted the room a much more pleasing color. But noooooo.... no one bothered to check with me when decorating their home. (Will has a new, plain white light switch plate now.)


I am in the process of making curtains - another slow to the finish project. I somehow managed to be about a half of yard short on the fabric so I had to make a second trip out to get some more. In the end, I decided that I liked the fabric so much that I bought the rest of the bolt. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Quilt? Blanket? Something that isn't going to end up in the room at all? Suggestions anyone? Maybe in a few years there will be a post about what that fabric became. For now, a sneak peak at the curtains.



Thank you so much to my friends who gave us such a wonderful new space in our house. I owe you one!

4 Comments:
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Cara said...

yeah! love how it turned out! and i love that fabric! i've used the same pattern (different colorway) for a blankie pattern!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Love the fabric! And I am so happy that Will is enjoying his room too. That makes the hard work totally worth while! That and payback is a B. Just sayin... :o)

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Kaye said...

I love the fabric for the curtains! Maybe make some throw pillows for Will's big boy bed? Do boys "do" throw pillows? :) It looks great now I must say! :)

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger jen said...

Yay...somehow this makes me feel better, even though it's not my house. My living room is being re-painted...sloooowly, and I think I've run out of time to get it done before xmas tree time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home