gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What Would You Say?

I was listening to a live recording of a Dave Matthews Band concert in the car the other day and Marcus kept singing the chorus to "What Would you Say". And that is just a fitting title to this post.

I was at lunch with the kids today and at one point I noticed a blond haired, fair skinned woman sitting at a nearby table with a little boy completely Guatemalan. What did I say? Nothing. I have no clue what to say in that situation. I usually wait for the other person to talk to me. I just have no clue what to say. Most of the time I just fear that there is that chance I could be wrong and I could totally insult someone. So all those other adoptive parents that I know read my blog and rarely post comments, what do you say? Post your comment. Please.

I have had lots of people say things to me. Of course, my kids have been adopted so it isn't like someone coming up to me and asking me if I adopted them would offend me. (Although, some people have done it with way more tact than others.) I have had several people come up to me and start off with, "Can I ask you a question?" And of course I know where that is going. I had one Caucasian woman with two African American children with her say to me that my son (only had one of them with me at the time) was beautiful. I knew what she was trying to lead into but then I froze with what to say next so that went nowhere. Then of course there was that time when a guy got my attention at the store and asked, "Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" I just knew what was coming, but then it turned out that he just wanted to give me some advice about a product he noticed I was purchasing. Oops. So really, what do you say?

1 Comments:
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I am like you...I wait for the other person to say something. I'm not much help! I'll be interested to see what others say. It'll be good for me to think about too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home