gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, May 28, 2010

Homemade Pizza

I recently came across this recipe by Jamie Oliver for "The Big Give Pizza". Due to many different factors that deserve a rather lengthy post of their own, I've been doing a lot to change the way we eat in our house for the better. We've always eaten pretty healthy around here but this new change is... well... different. Anyway, it sparked me to go looking for some alternative ways of preparing things, such as finding a better way to make pizza that didn't involve opening a cardboard box and putting it's contents into the oven for 20 minutes. This recipe is definitely a winner!

I've made this pizza twice now. The first time went a little better, just because I did a better job at following the directions and successfully made enough dough for two pizzas. (The second time around I totally screwed up the dough and made enough for six pizzas and now have pizza dough occupying a substantial amount of space in my freezer.) I was a bit scared of the sauce at first, mostly scared no one in my family would eat it because it is packed full of nutritious vegetables. Everyone loves it, even Greg who normally gags at the sight of vegetables. The sauce is missing a bit of the kick of traditional pizza sauce but I think throwing in some basil would fix that right up.

One of the reasons we have been changing the way we cook around here is because Marcus and Will LOVE to cook. They ask every day if it is time to cook. My normal dinner preparation routine involved turning on the television to distract them so I had a chance of getting dinner ready. Most days now they are in the kitchen being helpers and don't even realize it is typical tv time. During our last pizza day, Will decided to opt out of cooking and instead to rock out while Marcus and I cooked.

Marcus saw me rolling out the dough and immediately announced that it would be a good idea for us to take turns doing that job. He was really excited when it was his turn.

Then it was saucing time. Don't adjust the color on your screen. This pizza sauce is really orange.

Our pizza might not have come out perfectly round, but I assure you they were perfectly good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home