gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Sunday, August 29, 2010

DMB, RCPM, and TP&THB with DBT

This happened so long ago and I can't believe I am bothering to post about it, but here it goes - the summer concert series.

Let me start off by saying that if you are pregnant and suffering from horrible morning sickness, I don't recommend that you decide to brave the monstrous heat and humidity of summer and head out to some concerts. However if, like me, you had already invested a good deal of money on tickets that were purchased before becoming pregnant and you are armed with some anti-nausea meds and some good planning, it can be done.

DMB

First up in early July was Dave Matthews Band at PNC Park. I've never been to a concert there so that in itself was a good reason to go. My girls Cara and Val and I decided to splurge on tickets that would put us right on the field in front of the stage. We were close!

Not as close as my friend Brian wdecided to get, but he also ended up at the ER after the concert with mild heat stroke, so I am glad we were where we were. The opening band was Zac Brown Band. I had never heard of them but they were awesome. Lots of fun and I'm definitely a fan of theirs now. We did decide to move back a bit from the stage for the DMB portion of the show simply because we could actually see better not crammed in so tight and the airflow made a huge difference to how we were all feeling. Concert was great. Mostly. I wasn't impressed with the set list and felt several of the songs they chose to play I have just heard too many times live to get excited about. All was well though. I survived with the help of a sandwich that may or may not have been stashed discretely in the bottom of my purse. I even stayed up past 9pm to see the entire show!

RCPM

Four days later I braved another concert, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers at Thunderbird Cafe. Brian had recovered from his heat stroke so he joined Greg and me for the show. We got there early, ate, and may have possibly managed to sneak into the concert area of the bar before it opened and grab a table and seats so we didn't have to stand. As far as sustaining a healthy evening, this concert was by far the worst. I drank glass upon glass of water and sweated out every bit, and all I was doing was sitting. The venue was far too crowded and far to hot. I heard several complaints later of people that had to watch the show on the TVs at the bar because they couldn't even get into the concert area. The concert was good. Not great, but good. Once again, could have had a better set list. Glad they skipped over a couple of their "typical" songs they play every show but wasn't impressed with the songs they chose to replace them with. There were some gems in there I was really excited about. Sadly, I was mostly just hoping the show would end so I could get some fresh, cool air. I think it was probably about 90 degrees outside after the show but that was a welcome relief from the indoor situation.

TP&THB with DBT


Finally Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were in town. Well, in nearby Burgettstown. Greg was on the fence about going but decided he was up for it when he heard that Drive-By Truckers were the opening band. Also in tow were Val and Brian. I was a bit worried about how I would survive this show simply because the weather forecast predicted it was going to be a scorcher. They weren't kidding. Finding a shady place to tailgate was even a challenge. Greg engineered a device so that we could use our beach umbrella for shade which was comical, but a lifesaver. As usual, security did a quick search of my purse when we went in. I had put a couple garbage bags in there in case my morning sickness (which is more like all day sickness) got the best of me. However, the security lady said there was no way I would be allowed inside the venue with garbage bags. Umm, what? I am still puzzled to this day what sort of malice they thought I was going to perform with two garbage bags. So, I went in without my barf bags... yet Mrs. Security Lady was so distracted by my garbage bags that she never noticed the giant sandwich I had in my purse. The Drive-By Truckers portion of the show was decent. They just came out with a new album and most of the songs they played were from that album. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers also had just come out with a new album. They played four songs from their new album and chose to play all four of them back to back. The Heartbreakers sure know how to put on a crowd pleasing show, sticking mostly to their greatest hits that are tried and true and everyone can sing along to. Mr. Petty was cracking me up dancing around the stage with maracas and made me hope that when I am that old, I can still shake my maracas! All in all, a good time but a really short concert. I don't think the fans were complaining much though because towards the end of the show, the skies opened up and dumped some very cold rain on us. Everyone went from dying from the extreme heat earlier to trying to avoid hypothermia. I have never witnessed a dash for the gates post concert like I witnessed that night.

Summer concert series is over. Usually I find a show or two to go to during the fall and winter. I'm thinking I will just take the rest of this year off though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home