gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Kids on Babies

Been doing my best at keeping Marcus and Will in the loop about these babies growing in my belly and the impending changes of life around here. It is something I never had to do before. Marcus was only 19 months old when Will came home to us so there wasn't a whole lot we could do at that point to prepare him for a new sibling. We still have a long way to go (I'm 17 weeks along today) before these babies are ready to make their way into our home. As an added complication, because I'm carrying twins and I have some health issues, the chances of having preemies that need to spend some time in the NICU are really high. So, we really have no idea when these babies will be joining us or what their health status will be when they come into the world. We want Marcus and Will to be as prepared as possible for all the possibilities.

Marcus and Will enjoy seeing all the ultrasound photos we get. I have ended up with a lot of ultrasounds at this point. Their favorite photo so far is one from around 12 weeks that shows the tiny circle of one of the baby's bottoms and his/her little legs sticking out. Each time I bring home photos, Will asks if I have one of a baby butt again.

The only purchases that have been made for these new additions so far are two little bouncy seats I picked up at a yard sale. When I brought them home, we put two teddy bears in them and Marcus and Will had a blast rocking them and "feeding" them. Will in particular has quite a fondness for babies and LOVES taking care of any babies he can get his hands on. Marcus was more for doing a little rocking and asking lots of questions.

Today I told Marcus and Will how in a few more weeks they might be able to put their hands on my belly and feel the babies moving in there. Marcus tried looking in my belly button for the babies but announced that he couldn't see them in there.

We talk a lot about things babies do and things babies don't know how to do yet. Will and Marcus both tell me often that sometimes babies cry. I wish they wouldn't remind me of that fact quite as often as they do. Because of our situation, I explained that sometimes babies are so small that they don't know how to eat or breathe yet and machines have to do that for them until they learn. Out and about Marcus has pointed out babies and asked me if that baby knows how to breathe yet. It makes us all sad that we even have to think about this but happy to know that Marcus and Will will be prepared if it is something we have to face.

I tell the boys often about how they grew in their birthmoms' bellies and they look like their birthmoms and birthdads. These babies will probably look more like Greg and me since they are growing in my belly. It is a concept I know they really don't get yet. It is also something that I am sure I will be trying to find ways to explain and make sense to everyone in our family for years to come. I tried to make a game out of it once saying that their birthparents had dark hair and eyes and now Marcus and Will have dark hair and eyes. Then I asked what they thought our babies would look like. Marcus said very wisely, "No one knows, Mommy. Only God."

4 Comments:
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Cara said...

Um that is one of the sweetest things I've heard in a while...

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I'm with Cara, that is so sweet.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kaye said...

I actually said "Awww!" out loud when I read that. :) So sweet. :)

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger MoDLin said...

What a sweet conversation! Hopefully these twins will be able to stay put and intrigue their brothers "from afar" for months to come. I can't wait to hear what they think about little kicks and bumps that soon will appear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home