gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Will's First Day of School

It was a BIG day for my little guy today. Will started preschool! Technically it was just orientation day where he got to check out the classroom, meet the teachers, meet some classmates, and enjoy the experience of being left in the classroom without a parent for a short time. Official first day isn't until next Tuesday but don't tell Will that!

Will is familiar with the school, classroom, and teachers since he went along to drop off and pick up Marcus last year. We talked all summer long about how he was going to go to school but Will kept telling us, "It's not my school yet. It's Marcus's school." The poor kid was in denial. As today approached, Will went from telling us how excited he was to get to go to school one minute to telling us that he didn't want to go the next. Needless to say, I had no idea how today would go.

Getting out of the house was rough, but that really was no surprise. Getting Will motivated to get out of the house in a timely manner is always a bit rough. We did manage to squeeze in the official first day of school photo. Will loved being the center of attention and Marcus was being an awesome big brother, lined up with Grammy and me with his own camera taking pictures of Will.


Once we got out of the garage, it was smooth rolling. Marcus had other plans for the day so Will could have no distractions from a sibling for his special first day of school. The school was set up so cute and Will couldn't wait to check it all out.


As soon as we entered the classroom, the head teacher said hello to Will and took him off to find where to hang up his backpack. Will was happy to go along and it was quickly clear that Will was more than ready to start school and a life independent of his family life. We had talked about the different toys that Will would get to play with at school. Will had been saying he wanted to play with the tools so when I finally located Will, we located the tools.

And that is where Will stayed for the next 30 minutes. I wondered off to talk to some other parents and listened to the teacher talk a little about what Will would be doing in the classroom this year. Then I told Will I was going to leave for a little bit and would see him soon. He let out a bit of a whiny, "Why??" A hug and a kiss and I was gone. Will of course, was completely fine. Oddly, I was too. Didn't even feel a tear coming on. Things are so different the second time around.

I went to a little meeting with the school director for about 20 minutes and headed back to the classroom. I found Will happily playing with some blocks and announcing to whoever would listen, "I building!" As soon as he saw me he said, "I having so much fun, Mommy!" Here's to hoping to all goes so well and no one cries (particularly me) on his first full day next week!

Marcus had his first day/orientation yesterday. He did the preschool thing last year so he was a pro at the school thing. He was so excited that he had his backpack and was ready to head out the door two hours before we needed to be there. This year Marcus gets to take a lunch box on Fridays with his snack packed inside. He picked out his snack tonight and helped me pack it up. Then danced around the house chanting, "I'm going to school tomorrow! I'm going to school tomorrow!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home