gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, October 15, 2007

Fall Fest

This Saturday our neighborhood held their Fall Fest. We haven't attended in the past but figured it would be a good time for Marcus this year. The event started at 1:00 which was right smack dab in the middle of Marcus's nap time. I woke him up early and got him down for a nap early. Unfortunately he is getting over a cold so he still slept until just after 2:00. As soon as he woke up, we put his Halloween costume on him and off we went to the neighborhood park.

Greg and I were quite impressed with the event. Things were wrapping up when we got there but since Marcus couldn't participate in many of the activities yet, that was fine. We had some cookies and I grabbed a caramel apple which they were making on site. They also had apple cider and lots of other drinks as well. There was a pumpkin painting contest so we got a pumpkin (although we didn't do any painting). They also had a nice area set up for pictures. Our pictures didn't turn out too spectacular because it is just impossible to get a toddler to pose but here ya go:




We did a little playing as well. Here is a great picture of Marcus and me. As you can see I am in costume. I was dressed up as a mom.


Yesterday we headed to my parents' house for dinner. My brother was in town and I hadn't seen him since Christmas. I set my camera out to take because I don't even have a picture of Marcus and his Uncle Willie but I somehow managed to leave the house without it. Marcus had a great time playing with his cousins Maria and Scott. He followed Scott around like a lost puppy. After dinner and after Marcus grabbed my ice tea and dumped it all down his chest, we took a walk down the street.

I grew up in an unusual neighborhood. I didn't realize that there was something unusual about it until I got much older. It is really one of the greatest places on earth. It is a dead end street with 17 houses. Everyone knows everyone. In fact, many of the residences went to high school and even elementary school with my parents. Several other residents are the kids (like me) that grew up on the street and have moved back. We have block parties every year (see my post about the Fourth of July) and several of the families go out to dinner together around Valentine's Day. Growing up, all of us kids were like extended family. We played all day long. We rode our bikes up and down that street constantly and sometimes just hung out in the middle of the road because that was just something that you could do.

And there we were yesterday, hanging out in the middle of the road. Maria and Scott were learning to ride their bikes right there where my sister and brother and I all learned to ride. Marcus was running up and down the road like a wild man, chasing Scott, and it was all so oddly familiar. It was just like all the perfect fall days that I remember as a child and I was there experiencing it with my child.

1 Comments:
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Marcus looks great in his costume but I like yours much better. I hope to get to wear that costume next year.
Don't you take it off!!
Gail

 

Post a Comment

<< Home