gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

One Year Ago

One year ago today my dad had a birthday. He is having one again this year!!

Unfortunately last year, I wasn't able to attend his birthday dinner because Greg and I happened to be at the US Embassy one year ago today as well, finalizing our adoption of Marcus. Woohoo!! We were up early that day and I got Marcus dressed in his new outfit. Then we met an employee of our attorney in the lobby of our hotel and headed for the embassy. There was a really long line outside of Guatemalan people waiting to get in to apply for Visas. We were able to walk right in though, after passing a little boy no more than five years old shining the shoes of an older gentleman. I knew at that moment that I wouldn't ever be a perfect mom and Marcus would surely have hardships in his future, but when he was five years old he would only need to worry about playing nicely with his friends and not forgetting his backpack at kindergarten.

Inside the embassy we waited and waited and waited. We were in a crowded room filled with families waiting to become families. Despite the noise and bustle, Marcus fell asleep in my arms. Finally we were able to move out of that room and into another room where we waited in line. When it was our turn we went into a small room. I don't remember what we had to do in there. Then we had to wait again. Finally we could go to the last window. Marcus was in the Baby Bjorn by then and he pounded on the counter while the woman at the window made sure everything was signed and stamped. Then she said, "Congratulations. Buy that boy a drum."

The only thing missing was the massive amounts of fireworks, the cheers from the crowd, and red carpet. The joy in my heart was enough to make up for all of that though.

Here it is a year later and I can't believe it. I think about how this year has just flown by and I can't believe that Marcus has already been home for a year. But then I also think that I can't remember a time when Marcus wasn't my little boy either. The main reason I decided to pursue adoption was because I decided I had a lot of love in my heart to give and who better to give it to than a child. I just never imagined until I met Marcus how much love I actually had.

One Year Ago



Marcus's First Day Home


One Year Later

4 Comments:
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

WOW! Seeing the two pictures with Marcus and Hopkin really is amazing! He has grown up so much!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Cara said...

ok, i just totally cried...

i love the comparison shots, and especially like the recent one. Marcus looks like such a big boy :) nice light too!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger jen said...

Okay, I don't cry over stuff like this but...yeah, those two pictures!

You'll have to do the same with William and Hopkin Blue Frog.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Jill said...

OOOOO, this is the best post! I now can start to see that this will be me in a year! Wow! It is so hard to see ahead sometimes! Thanks for helping me see the bigger picture through your little boy's eyes... there better be room for 2 on that couch, because SOON you will have company!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home