gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Fast Firsts

I have a ton of blogging to catch up on but I am dead tired. So here it is, straight up.

William took his first unassisted steps today!! He has a long way to go until walking is something that happens without lots of coaxing and encouragement. The few steps he took (four unassisted steps total on three occasions)were the most tentative steps I have ever seen someone take. He thought, he waited, he pondered, and then his foot moved forward a few inches. The end. I don't anticipate we will have much chance to practice this skill either. Each time I put my hands out and said, "Come on! You can do it!!" before he gets a chance to let the words sink in, Marcus is running at me trying to tackle me to show me that he could do it too.

William is also picking up on sign language incredibly fast. He learned the sign for more over a few days. Once he got that, I showed him the sign for "all done" twice before he started using that sign, and using it correctly. Today I showed him how to sign for "help", mainly because the continuous "eh!eh!eh!" was getting to me. I showed him once and then immediately he started making eye contact with me when he needed/wanted something and doing the sign for "help".

Marcus has been being my big helper these days. He helps me get meals and snack on the table. When we get William out of bed after nap he takes William's shoes over to the changing table for me and puts William's bottle (which will be a thing of the past here soon) and puts it in the sink. He does lots of other things too but I said this post would be short and I am really tired so you will just have to pretend I told you what the other things were.

Night.

2 Comments:
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Cara said...

wow! how exciting on the william walking front!!!

next time i see you, you need to show me the sign for help. max just gets all bent outta shape when he can't do something and starts to stomp his feet. that is not acceptable in my book... i've tried to teach him to say help but it's not working...

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

wow! now i will have to visit again so I can see Will's new tricks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home