gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, February 25, 2008

What I am Reading

I've always been a reader. Back in the day it was The Babysitter's Club books. Then I moved on to The Saddle Club Books. I would like to think that my taste in novels had matured despite the fact the I find most of my reading these days is kid oriented books. In college I didn't really do any reading that wasn't assigned because I just didn't have the time. Then I was back on the reading wagon again. That was until this fall when I hit a big slump.

It started in November when we were on our trip to Guatemala to bring William home. I took a book with me that I don't even remember now. Perhaps there was just too much other stuff going on but I really don't think that was it. After reading about 100 pages of this very long book, I just really didn't feel like reading anymore. One big problem though, I am not a quitter. Sure, I have quit some things. Obviously. If I never quit anything I would be taking ballet lessons, taking jazz lessons, taking piano lessons, taking trumpet lessons, playing soccer, playing softball, taking karate, taking gymnastics, and doing girl scouts all while working at two convenience stores, a diner/pharmacy, a country store, a tourist cave, a telemarketing firm, and several engineering companies that would have lawsuits against me for conflict of interest. I also could be waitressing at a seafood restaurant too although I am not sure since technically I quit that job but as soon as I told my boss that I quit she responded by saying that I couldn't quit because I was fired. Anyway... My point is, I didn't lay a finger on that book for a few weeks and then finally decided to just quit reading it.

Onto a new book. I started reading "A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies" by some author that I am too lazy to look up right now. It seemed like a very interesting concept. Before I continue though, let me explain one of the reasons I love to read. It is a great opportunity to see things from a different perspective, to experience things that you would never even want to experience. The concept of this book was definitely exploring something I would never have a desire to experience. It was about a woman living in the year 1901 who found herself at sort of reverse brothel. Interesting? Turns out it wasn't at all. I was so excited reading that first chapter, so excited to be back to reading something again and it seemed good! It was false hope. It took me nearly 3 months to finish reading that book. I kept reading thinking that something really interesting was going to happen. Then I kept reading just to finish the stupid book so I could start a new one because I was not about to quit two books in a row. I just can't believe I spent so much time committed to that book.

Finally! I found a winner. About a week ago I started reading, "The Art of Mending" by Elizabeth Berg. This is the second book I have read by this author and I am enjoying it more than the first book I read by her. It is a story about family secrets. I sit down to read a page and the next thing I know an hour has gone by. It is quick reading (even for a slow reader like me) and makes you question things that you think you know. It is a serious book but those seem to be the books I enjoy most so it is very suitable for me. I only have about 50 pages left to read but instead of reading it, I am writing about it because I am just not ready for this book to end yet.

And so, that is what I am reading. Also wanted to share, I am a member of goodreads.com, a networking website where readers can share which books they like, what books they are planning on reading, and just do lots of other stuff that I really haven't looked into yet. You can always add me as your friend on there. Just look me up by my email address anniemwk6@hotmail.com

1 Comments:
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I read Open House by Berg.. and I think another one that I can't remember the name of.. I loved it. Glad you are reading again... I so need to do the same soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home