gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, June 23, 2008

Ramblings

I have all these things I want to blog about but no time to really make them each into their own personal entry so here it is.

- Our house is going on the market this week. Our real estate guy (that is his official title) is coming over later this week to take photos and get everything squared away. This means that our house has to be in tip top shape in just a few days. We bought a bunch of flowers to make things look all pretty. (My mom asked me where I put the flowers. I told her, "Lots of places. I thought about putting them all in one place but I thought that might look a little cluttered and smash the flowers.") Greg spent all day Saturday getting the yard fixed up, placing lots of mulch and fixing some little things. I spent all day Saturday with the kids, totally miserable because my back decided it was a good time to have lots of spasms. The pain was so bad that I popped a Vicodin. I had about 3.5 blissful hours where my back still hurt but I really could care less about anything!

- Friday was the last day of a highchair being used in our house until further notice. I got Will a booster seat so he can sit at the table with the rest of us. Marcus has the same seat and still needs to sit on a phone book as well so until we get a phone book for Will to sit on, he will be using the tray that comes with the booster seat. Will cried when I took the highchair down to the storage room in our basement.


- Will has determined that the best way to express any sort of displeasure towards a person is to hit them. I express my displeasure towards this behavior by placing him directly in timeout. On average he goes to timeout about once an hour for hitting.

- Greg went to visit his Pap on Sunday. Pap's health is failing and although Pap wasn't up for seeing two rambunctious toddlers, it was great that Greg got to visit. Greg took some video footage of the kids for Pap to see and I was told Pap enjoyed that.

- While Greg was visiting Pap on Sunday, I decided to take the kids and the pooch for a walk down to the neighborhood park. First we had to get out the door. As we were headed out, Will threw a temper tantrum for about 10 minutes while Marcus and I ignored him and played with some toys. Finally we were out the door. We started out having a great time at the park. We were the only ones there and had free reign of the slides and swings so we slid and swung. Then Will decided that to throw another temper tantrum while sitting at the bottom of one of the slides. Since there was no one else there, I just let him go and Marcus and I went about our business playing on another slide and doing some more swinging. After 15 minutes straight of screaming, Will finally decided to rejoin the fun. Then Marcus was not pleased with my request to take turns so he hit me. (Marcus went through a hitting phase that ended months ago but I guess he is taking hitting lessons from his little brother now.) Marcus sat in timeout for the last couple of minutes at the park. The trip was obviously a grand success. That was sarcasm in case you missed it.

- Marcus is working on learning his colors. He is starting to get the concept that things are different colors and knows the names of several colors now. For the past week everything has been yellow. The week before that, he declared everything he saw as green.

- Speaking of yellow things, one of Marcus's new words is "lemonade". He doesn't pronounce the "l" sound right though making this such a cute word. I serve him lemonade and generally talk about lemonade often just to hear him say the word.

- Will has been working on using spoons and forks to eat. This is really frustrating... to me. For a while there he would just sit at the table and play with his utensils and not eat a thing. I would eventually take the spoon or fork away which would lead to a freak out. He is finally starting to use his utensils more for actual eating than for playing which is making both of us happier.

- Will made this fabulous piece of art yesterday. It is called, "We Hate the Elephant". As you can see, the monkey, bird, hippo, giraffe, and lion are all living harmoniously under the happy little cloud and rainbow. It is almost as if they are saying to the elephant, "You are not one of us." Thankfully the elephant is quite secure in who she is and doesn't need to be part of the group to wear a smile on her face.


- Today was the first day of my fitness boot camp. I was up at 4:55 this morning and at the park by 5:25. There were five other women there, but no trainer. Hmm... Eventually we all left. I got in contact with the trainer later today. The boot camp location had changed and he had sent out an email. It seems as though he didn't have correct email addresses for some of us. The good news is that I am getting reimbursed for today's class and my poor back got one more day to heal before having to function at full capacity. The bad news is that I am completely exhausted today and I didn't even exercise for an hour this morning. No clue how I am going to survive four weeks of this. Why did I think that this boot camp thing was a good idea?

- Went grocery shopping today, just me and the two boys. It was the first time I took them alone to do a week's worth of shopping. I am thinking it would have turned out much better had there been a two child seater cart available. I almost turned around and left but decided to suck it up. Will sat in the seat and Marcus sat in the basket and I piled groceries on top of him. I put the eggs and bread under the basket because I didn't think they would survive otherwise. When I got to the last aisle in the store I spotted a woman using one of the two seater carts. She had child with her who was not in the cart, walking and old enough to be very capable of walking through the store and not removing things from shelves. She had another boy with her who was probably about 10 years old, sitting on the handle of the cart with a leg in each of the two seats. And there I was with my tomatoes and chicken and boxes of crackers stacked on top of my children because I was without a two seater cart. I was well behaved though and didn't make any snide comments when I passed her about how nice it must be to have one of those special carts when she obviously didn't even need one. I didn't even make a snide remark about how if her child would happen to fall off of his perilous perch on the handle of the cart I would have to laugh and talk about how it was simply natural selection at work. Yes, I realize this is heartless and mean but come on people, don't let your kids be stupid.

- A fellow knitter friend, Saffron, is grieving the loss of a family member. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts.

- Happy Birthday to the pooch!! My little puppy dog turned a very young 10 years old today.

- I have had heartburn for the past several days. I am thinking it is probably stress related. No idea what I could be stressed about... (That was sarcasm again in case you missed it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home