gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cosmic Powers

I have this giant book that basically gives a personality overview based on what day of the year you were born. I bought it years ago because I thought it would be fun. Mostly I find it spooky. About 90% of what it has to say about each person I have ever looked up is completely true. I got the book out earlier this week and flipped to two different dates.

April 1 - Marcus's birthday. According to this giant book (can't remember the name of it right now and it is in a room with a sleeping kid at this moment) those born on April 1 are very serious about their work, their play is their work, and they tend to take on more responsibilities than their peers. Shortly after reading this Marcus proved this book correct. He wanted to go outside so I told him we had to put our shoes on. He pulled out his shoes and my flip-flops and put my shoes on for me. Then I remembered that I wanted to wear my tennis shoes so I told him that I would have to get some socks. He jumped to his feet, held up one finger and said, "One minute," and was off and running. A minute later he was running back towards me. He had gone to my room, opened my dresser drawer, and got a pair of socks for me.

December 19 - Will's birthday. Those born on December 19 will not compromise who they are for anyone, a trait that can frustrate their peers. And boy does it ever! There is absolutely no convincing this kid to do anything that he doesn't want to do. I realize this probably sounds like most toddlers out there but I assure you, there is a difference. Most toddlers out there you can show them how to do something or have them watch another child do something and suddenly peer pressure starts to set in and they give it a try. Or, with most toddlers, you can kind of convince them that the idea was theirs all along to get them to do what you want them to do. Not Will. He is what he is. You can tell him how fun something is, you can do it yourself, you can have Marcus do it, and you can laugh and smile and cheer and hoot and holler out of excitement while you do it. If he doesn't want to do it, he won't. I know this will probably thrill me later in life, like if someday down the road one of his friends is all, "Hey Will, smoke this. It is really really fun." I am fairly confident Will will say, "No," and that will be it.

Somewhere between all this book reading, I was watching a rerun on Oprah that I had DVR'd awhile back. I had heard about this exercise on the show before but once again they were talking about making a Vision Board. Basically it is a collage where you place words or pictures that represent the things that you really truly want to have in your life. Right now I really, truly want to sell this house so I figured, what the heck. I didn't want to have my Vision Board posted on the fridge where anyone who was checking out my house would see it so I decided to put a couple pictures on my desktop. I settled on two pictures Friday morning - a Sold sign and a stack of money. Three hours later our realtor called and said there was an offer on our house. Unfortunately the offer was either laughable or insulting (based on whatever mood I am in from minute to minute) and I see no chance of it actually going through. (Not that I am expecting to make a profit through the sale of my house, but I am not going to pay someone to buy it either.) It wasn't until a day later when I realized that offer was a result of the faulty Vision Board. The picture of the stack of money I chose for my Vision Board was about half the asking price for our house. No wonder the offer sucked. No fears though. The Vision Board has now been updated to represent the proper size of money stack and we should be back in business - and moving - in no time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home