gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mystery Dianosis

Although I missed it, apparently Monday's episode of "Mystery Diagnosis" featured a woman with a unicornuate uterus, the same condition that I have. The episode is going to run again on Saturday at 5:00 pm on Discovery Health and I already have my DVR set to record.

It's been a long time since I talked about my uterus. Actually, I don't know if I have ever mentioned my uterus on my blog. I must confess that I think about my uterus all the time, far more than I am sure a lot of women do. Yet, I don't write about it. In a way I feel like admitting that I think about my uterus and actually talking about it on my blog is kinda cheating on my sons. Without my uterus the way it is, I would not have these sons and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but, I still think about my uterus a lot. So, I guess this can be a post dedicated to my uterus.

Long story short, I was diagnosed with a unicornuate uterus (UU) in January of 2006. (Here is the story of when I went for test the led to the diagnosis and sealed the deal that adoption was for us. Go read it. It is good. Go... I'll wait... Okay, read it? Totally worth it, right? Okay, continue!) Basically I have half a uterus and the other half didn't form when I was still growing in my mommy's uterus. I have two ovaries but have never gone into further testing to see if they both work. I also have two kidneys which is great because a lot of people with a UU only have one kidney.

Greg and I talked about adopting for a long time prior to all this. As soon as the doctor started whispering and calling in other doctors (really, NEVER a good sign) and he said, "There seems to be a problem," the very first thing I thought was, "Okay, we are going to go ahead and adopt now instead of later." That night Greg and I went out to dinner and I asked him what we are going to do and he said, "We are going to adopt now instead of later." Best. Decision. Ever.

So, here I sit with my half a uterus and a whole head full of statistics that I researched at some point and have forgotten by now. I am something like 1 out of some 6000 women who have a UU, and obviously this "condition" is cool enough to end up on Mystery Diagnosis. My doctor recommended some infertility treatments and an infertility doctor but I knew (and Greg too) from the minute the doctor said there was a problem, that our path was adoption. Many women go on to give birth. Many do not. Chances of miscarriage and still birth and premature birth and bed rest and a whole slew of other issues are pretty high, at least higher than in "normal" people. I have weird pains and pressure most days of my cycle and my doctor doesn't really have an explanation for it. I have a whole list of jokes about my uterus that are great to pull out at parties. (This is probably why people stopped inviting me to parties.) I have the most supportive husband ever. Most importantly, I have two amazing kids that I probably would have never had the honor to know had it not been for my uterus.

Not sure I will ever totally come to terms with my uterus. We have a working relationship. I can still be pretty pissed off at this particular organ and also incredibly thankful at the same time, right? I know I'm right because that is how my uterus and me have found harmony in our coexistence.

1 Comments:
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I can kind of relate. While I don't have a UU, I just talked to my husband yesterday about how frustrated I am with my uterus at times. Seems a shame it should cause us pain when we don't need it to have our babies! What's the point of all the weird pains!?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home