gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Potty Training - Part 2, Phase 3

Part 1 of potty training is complete. That would be Marcus. All is well there. Wasn't too horrible. He is all about learning new things and always really wants to succeed. I am blissfully ignoring all the pain and misery he and I both went through over his complete fear to poop on the potty there for a little bit. However, if you would like a little refresher on the beginning of that issue, click here.

The un-numbered part of potty training is pretty much done too. That would be Maya. She was also pretty easy, and not a human and therefore why she doesn't get numbered. First week was awful but that is to be expected. She still pees when she is really happy, which is often. In the past week or two she has taken to sitting and staring at me and sometimes letting out a little whine when she has to go. I say, this mission is complete.

So on the Part 2. That would be Will. The only way to convince Will that something is a good idea is to make it seem like it was all his idea in the first place. I can't just decide we are going to potty train and start doing it, which is pretty much how potty training with Marcus went. That would be met only with resistance. So, I have to trick him. No one told me that part of being a mom was learning how to be completely manipulative. So, here are the steps.

Part 2, Phase 1 - Poopy On The Potty
This phase started about 4-5 months ago. Will was a very obvious pooper so every time he started being really obvious, we would grab him, run at full speed to the bathroom, strip him down, seat him, and wait. Of course he hated this at first but after acting completely ridiculous each and every time there were positive results, all was well. Now he tells us when he has to poop. The only time there are "accidents" are early in the morning or after nap when he is still in bed and has to go.

Part 2, Phase 2 - Peeing On The Potty Is An Option
This is a two section part. First Will started sitting on the potty right before getting into the bathtub. Eventually he peed once while there... then twice... then most of the time. During Section 2 of Phase 2, I started putting Will on the potty to pee before snack and meals and after getting out of bed (the normal times when Marcus pees). With much chanting of, "Pee! Pee! Pee! Pee!" and totally wild and ridiculous cheers, pretty much every seating has been a success for a few weeks now.

Part 2, Phase 3 - Peeing On The Potty And In Diapers
This brings us to where we are now. Starting this week Will is still wearing his diapers but I have somehow managed to convince him that we should go pee on the potty every 30 minutes while he is awake. I set a timer to remember to go. The hardest part is trying to act just has excited and thrilled and over the top the first time he does it as I do the 158th time he does it. I honestly can't believe how well this is going. Will is really excited! After racing me to the bathroom every 30 minutes and doing his business, he cheers and grins from ear to ear. Today he kept his diaper dry for several hours. I'm going to keep up with this phase for a week.

Then... I have no clue what to do. Phase 4... pull-ups? I am thinking going to underwear isn't a good idea just yet. I'm not in any kind of hurry to get him potty trained but I don't want to miss an opportunity either. Also, I don't really want to continue taking him to the potty every 30 minutes for the rest of his life. I don't think either of us has that much enthusiasm. Maybe pull-ups for a bit and then asking him daily if he wants to wear pull-ups or underwear? Only time will tell. Wish us luck!

4 Comments:
At 10:42 PM, Blogger jen said...

I say slap some training pants on the kid (real ones, not Pull-ups) and just deal. He'll get it. And yes, my kid is still in diapers, but I still feel qualified to dish out advice on PT.:) When you're finished, I'm going to have my kid come and watch your boys use the potty until he thinks it's a grand idea to do it himself.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I think Heather has more in common with Will personality-wise than Marcus. I'm anxious to hear about the rest of the phases and maybe someday we'll follow in your footsteps. ;-) We're still on Phase 0.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Cara said...

i'm with jen, i would skip the pull-ups. i've never been a fan of those anyways... he'll get it!

two kids out of diapers! what a DREAM!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Love it. Laughing and getting to know the boys more, what a fun read. 30 minute timer. You are awesome. I know you have probably already figured it out, but I have this idea...real underware under the pull up or diaper when going to places like the store or playgroup, etc. This way they feel the cotton and wetness, if an accident occurs, but they don't make a huge mess. We did pull ups and they set us back. Keep us posted, as it is a big deal. And, if you get him trained by the summer, no need for swim diapers. Money in the back or at the concession stand for that matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home