gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Need Help Please

Everyday my kids try to tell me that they are incapable of doing things. From one kid I get I get a grumpy and frustrated, "I can't do it!" From the other I simply get an, "I can't," only it is said in a high pitched whiny voice in which he is somehow able to turn the word "can't" into a six syllable word. I never want my kids to think there is anything they can't do. (Well, within reason. Like no, they can't eat dog food and neither can they sniff glue.) As soon as I hear them mutter (or whine) that word can't, I ask them for a better way to say that. Like well trained puppies they respond with, "I need help please." It is my little way of trying to teach that we can all do anything we set our minds to but sometimes we do need some help.

Too bad their mother isn't too good at practicing what she preaches. I've always been the annoying kid who insists "I do it by myself!" I really suck at asking for help. I suck even more at accepting it. People have been offering for the past 6 months to help. For the past 6 months I've been telling people thanks, I'll get back to them, and still thinking... I do it by myself. The time has come. I can't. Or what I really mean is, I need help please.

So I'm cashing in. For all of you who offered to help and I have left you hanging, I've come up with some things that I could really use some help with. Thought I would post it here so no one feels obligated because I know this time of year is generally insane and time is stretched thin. It is a time for you to spend with your family, not taking care of mine. If you feel so inclined though, just send me an email (annie@gkline.com) or a message on Facebook if you would like to help with any of these things while I cheer you on from my recliner and avoid moving too much.

Wrapping Christmas Presents - I got the gifts. I got the wrapping paper and supplies. I even have some festive background music I could turn on at your request. Just could use some help with the bending and stretching and lifting gifts for wrapping.

Laundry - Greg's been great keeping up with the essentials but things are starting to back up a bit.

Getting Ready for Babies - We have cribs that need assembled. A dresser that needs painted and stocked. A few things in the attic that need to be brought down. Some organization of the huge pile of stuff that is in the middle of the babies' room. And it is all just waiting...

A Bag of Groceries - Nothing fancy, just maybe a few staples. Bread and cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches, ready to eat fruits or veggies, snacks, nonperishables, or anything we can stuff in our freezer for later. Although not the healthiest thing, ready to eat meals (Kid Cuisines, Lean Cuisines, etc.) are always great to have on hand for a quick lunch.

Dinner - Mmm... More food. If you ever want to help someone out, just feed them. Anything that involves heating and eating would be a huge blessing right now.

Exercise my Dog - The poor pup could use some play time. She loves walks around the neighborhood or just anyone to spare 5 minutes to play fetch with her in the yard. She is easy to please and if you show up, she will be happy to see you and get lots of exercise just showing her excitement!

Cleaning - If you are really brave and want to try to straighten up this place that I haven't cleaned for six months, who am I to stop you? I would gladly point you in the direction of the vacuum or dust rag.


Entertain my Kids
- I know a lot of you have offered watch my kids. I haven't once said yes and it has nothing to do with you. In addition to their crazy alternating preschool drop off/pickup schedule, my kids have been pretty sensitive to all the changes around here. They aren't used to just going off to other people's houses without me along. However, we would love for you to come here and play. My mother has taken over watching my kids almost all day long and I know she could use a break.

Entertain Me - Have you seen a good youtube video lately? Send it over! Got a totally addictive (and preferably free) iphone app? I want to know! Know a website that you just can't get enough of? Link please!

Get Creative - I am sure there are about a million other ways that I could use help and I don't even know it. If you think of something, make an offer! And if this is a crazy time in your life, that is perfectly understandable. I still love ya!

And thanks in advance. These past few weeks have been really bad and I know things are going to be insane around here for awhile. But as soon as things settle down, I have a lifetime to repay your good deeds or pay it forward. I am looking forward to it!

1 Comments:
At 1:52 PM, Blogger DrBabyMamaDrama said...

Annie, I hope you get some help from local people! I wish I was there now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home