gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Chaos

I am a control freak. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I am proud of it really. I am proud of who I am and part of that person is a control freak. I have manged to control my control freakness over the years so it is no longer a fault. Back in high school I thought I could control everything. I tried. I failed. That didn't make me a happy person. Then into college I gave up trying to control things and instead decided to seek out chaos. Turns out that that didn't make me a happy person either. Now I find myself in my adult years (if in age if not in maturity) and I have found balance. I neatly place just about everything into one of three categories: those things that I can control, those things that I could control but choose not to, and those things that I cannot control. Although I slip up every once in awhile, I am quite content focusing on those things I can control and leaving those that I cannot alone. Now I only find chaos in my life when I have realized that I have totally neglected to control those things that I choose to control. And this is why I couldn't get to sleep last night. I looked around at my house and realized it was just out of control. There were dishes everywhere, balls of dog fur in every corner, dust that was inviting me to write my name in it, and just the general piles of stuff that was piled in places it didn't belong. It scares me really. I know that if I don't get all this under control soon, it will consume me and I will not even be able to deal with it. So today, I didn't really deal with it. I gave the pooch a bath and I did some laundry. Then I sat back and was glad to see that Greg started digging us out. Now I feel like it is all manageable again. Perhaps tomorrow I will find a way to contain the chaos.

Even my blogging has become chaotic. I feel so behind in blogging it is like, why bother catching up? Yet, I will try. Here goes nothing. Which it may be nothing much to even look at besides words since the site the hosts our pictures is telling me it is having a massage... whatever that means.

1. So January 6 was my birthday, and Greg's birthday too. My parents came over, brought lasagna (and presents!) and we all hung out. William was quite curious about my dad and spent a while trying to touch his head and then getting nervous about it and backing off. Then he got distracted from that activity when he realized that he could crawl back and forth under the pooch.

2. Monday of this week was a totally bad parenting day. I didn't even want to think about parenting. So instead, I thought about my wonderful crockpot I got for Christmas. This thing is the best. I have used it three times this week! My past crockpot was quite a fine device and made some really yummy meals. It just wasn't anything fancy. My new crockpot has all kinds of lovely features. Now I can tell it what temp and for how long to cook my food and it gets to work. When the time is up, it automatically turns to the keep warm mode. It also has this temperature probe to use when cooking large hunks of meat, like the roast I made the other day. I just inserted the probe through the little hole in the lid, told my crockpot I wanted my meat cooled to 145 degrees and it did the rest. Once my meat reached the perfect temperature, on to keep warm mode it went. When we were ready to eat... yummy!

3. We had some really unseasonably warm weather this week. That meant that I got all brave and decided to leave the house with two kids, and the dog! I wasn't overly brave. We all just walked down to the neighborhood park, a five minute walk. Marcus played around on the playground equipment and then we hit up the swings. William didn't stop smiling the entire time he was on the swings.

4. My mom came to visit during the day on Tuesday. We are going to try to make it a regular thing. It was nice to have the extra hands around and I feel I did a pretty good job of letting her know when I could use a hand and not just expecting her to know what to do when. We had a good time playing with the kids in the morning and taking a little walk and then while they napped the two of us hung out and watched a movie.

5. Speaking of sitting around in front of the TV, let me just mention the greatest thing ever. I have never been a big TV watcher and really wasn't all that upset when we decided to cut back to super basic cable a couple years ago to give us some extra pocket money to put towards adoption. I think I am a changed person. We decided to suck it up and had FIOS installed in our house on Thursday, and along with it we now have something like 250 channels and a DVR. I told Greg that it is a good thing I didn't have DVR 6 years ago or else I never would have left the house and bothered to meet him. Today when I should have been cleaning, instead I sat around and programmed the DVR to record several shows that I never even knew that I couldn't possibly miss. I also watched a couple episodes of Adoption Story which was great and I bawled my eyes through each show.

6. I have been a bad friend. Some of my awesome friends have handmade some gifts for William and I have pretty much neglected to write about them. I did briefly mention the sweater that Amanda knitted because it showed up in a picture in my entry from Christmas time. Amy also knitted a fabulous sweater. I have quite the adorable picture of William wearing it earlier this week but I can't post pictures at this time. Jen also made the most adorable pillow for William. I don't even have a photo of that because it is in William's room and the only time I think to photograph it is when he is sleeping. You can see a picture of it here where Jen wrote about it.

7. I have been weaning William off his last two bottles. He is now down to just one bottle. I started about a week or two ago with the bottle that he gets before his nap. Usually it was 8 oz of milk. Greg and I started watering it down so for a few days it was 6 oz of milk mixed with 2 oz of water. Then it was half milk and half water. Then 2 oz of milk and 2 oz of water. Starting yesterday it was just water. Not really sure when we will stop giving him a bottle of anything because he is still waiting there for me to hand him something but at least it is just water now which shouldn't bind to his teeth while he sleeps. Tonight we gave him his bottle before bed and it was reduced to 6 oz of milk and 2 oz of water. He didn't complain. He drinks a ton of milk during the day so I am certain that he is ready to give up his nighttime nip.

I guess that is all for now. I suppose the pictures will have to come another time. I'm off to watch some more TV!!

1 Comments:
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Everything else is awesome, but um, I really need you to tell me more about this dynamo crockpot you got?!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home