gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hello from Guatemala!

We have made it! We arrived at our hotel around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. The trip was rather uneventful. While waiting for Greg to park the car at the Pittsburgh Airport, I was approached by a concerned security guard. He said that he saw the stroller but didn't see the kid and had wondered if I had lost someone. Nope, just off to find him!

The only other incident was when Greg completely embarrassed me as we were boarding our flight from Atlanta to Guatemala City. Due to a slight mix up with our tickets, we ended up being the last two people on the plane. Since most of the seats were taken by that time, I could clearly see where we would be sitting. I had offered to take the center seat and I spotted the young man that I would be sitting next to a few rows before we got there. He was picking his nose. It wasn't just a little pick, a scratch, or even the removal of a tiny little boogie that had reached the end of his nose. He was in there two knuckles deep. I turned to Greg and said, "Great. The guy I am sitting next to is picking his nose." Greg didn't hear me quite right and by the time he tried to respond, we were at our seats. Speaking loud enough that not only the guy I would be sitting next to could hear but so could everyone in two rows in every direction, Greg practically shouted, "What? Did you say that you can't sit next to that guy because he is too attractive?" In complete disgust I yelled back, "No! I didn't say that!" Then as soon as I spoke I realized I probably offended the picker and decided to change my statement to, "Yes, that is exactly what I said."

Every time we have traveled to Guatemala there has been construction going on at the airport. This time was no exception. This was the first time that we were able to enjoy some of the new facilities. I felt a little lost at first since we were walking down our old friendly hallways, but the airport was much more open and the immigration counter was very efficient.

We got checked into our hotel and as we were headed to our room, Greg said that he thought we had this same room number before. He was correct. This was the room that we stayed in when we visited William back in June. This was also the room that had a malfunctioning lock on the door that caused us to be locked out with two hungry and tired kids and no shoes on the last night of that trip. As soon as we entered the door I ran for the window to see if there was a nice new window installed. (A hotel employee had to climb out on the window ledge and break our window to get into our room last time.) When I looked I just busted out laughing. This is what I saw:

Some little shards of glass that serve as remnants of our last trip. Maybe I was just really tired but it was hilarious!

After some napping, Greg and I had a lovely dinner last night in the Italian restaurant at the hotel. We got our typical meals and as usual, they were wonderful. Our waiter commented that it was very cold in Guatemala yesterday. When we left Pittsburgh in the morning we had to get about an inch of our first snowfall of the season off the car first. The sunny and 70 degree temperature we encountered when we landed in Guatemala City was certainly not cold! We will be leaving here in a few minutes to meet our guide for our trip to Antigua. Lots of pictures will soon follow!

It sure would be nice to hear from the grandmas so we would know how everyone is holding up back home. Hint. Hint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home