gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spring AK Concert Tour - First Stop

Alone at last! Greg and I finally went out of the house for a date last night, the first time it was just the two of us since early November. The common man might think that a perfect date night would include a quiet dinner and maybe a movie. I am just no common man. In fact, I am not a man at all actually. I am no common woman either. So off we went to Mr. Small's to hang out in a smoke filled room with hundreds of people we don't know to watch a bunch of sweaty, long haired guys scream phrases into microphones such as "big drunken redneck" and "momma went off with a trucker". Bliss.

It was the third time I have seen Drive-By-Truckers in concert. Just by looking around the venue you might think that I just didn't belong there. I was wearing neither flannel nor camouflage. I had neither a beard nor big hair. I was neither smoking a cigarette nor drinking a Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer from a can. However, I disagree. I did belong there. Wherever there is some really good music, it is where everyone belongs. (I think I saw a couple who's wedding was featured on My Big Redneck Wedding in attendance.)

Greg and I aren't die hard DBT fans by any means. Greg just discovered last week that they put a new album out in January. He had just purchased it and I hadn't even got around to listening to it yet. I most certainly didn't know all the songs that they played. It didn't matter. When you have good music turned up to volumes that is going to cause permanent hearing damage, it moves you even if you don't know the song.

And so was our night. We danced. We sang. We inhaled way too much secondhand smoke. Most importantly we had a really good time. I was not at all pleased with the two songs that the female bass player sang. I am sure she is just a lovely lady and many people might say she had an equally lovely voice, but her voice and the songs she sang just were not doing it for me. I most certainly do not understand the large number of people who headed out the door during the last two songs. They couldn't stick it out for a whole 10 more minutes? Was that just going to make them too tired to do whatever it is that needed to do today? We were in Millvale! It wasn't like there was even any need to attempt to beat the traffic. Oh well. They just made it easier for a short person like me to get a good view of the stage for the last two rocking songs.

1 Comments:
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Oh, Millvale... what a town! As long as you weren't carried away in flood waters, you had a good time! I am glad you got out... that is like 25 minutes from me! :-)

Have a Happy Easter.... hug the kids for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home