gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, March 17, 2008

What could be better?

What could possibly be better than having to take care of a sick child? Taking care of two sick children!!

Marcus started coming down with some sniffles on Saturday evening and by Sunday morning I knew we were looking at a cold. So, I did what any intelligent mother would do. I left my kids with my husband and went out for an afternoon to hang with my girls. I came home and was informed that two kids were totally, and fully, infected with the virus. I dropped a tablet of Airborne into a glass of water and was ready to go.

The kids went to bed without issue at 8:00. By 9:30 we had one screaming, miserable kid. By 10:00 the screaming, miserable kid was laying in the pack 'n play in our spare room and I was camped out on the floor next to him in full view for security. By 10:30 Greg was getting the Vick's Vaporizer cranked up while we had two screaming, miserable kids - one in the pack 'n play and the other clinging to me. By 11:00 Will was content in the pack 'n play, Marcus was finally drifting off to sleep on the floor next to me, and I was trying to figure out how in the world I used to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor of friend's houses all the time at sleepovers because it was just not comfortable. By 11:30 Will had decided that if this was a slumber party, he was going to play and was doing his best to convince Marcus of this master scheme. By 11:35 Will had been moved back to his crib in the kids' room, Marcus went into the pack 'n play, and I was all too happy to get into bed.

As I lay on the floor last night surrounded by two crying, coughing, runny nosed kids, I thought that I just might have to write a blog today about how I was unanimously nominated as the Most Awesome Mom in the Whole Universe. However, I decided not to because I figured that someone would get the wise idea that the voting needed to be open to more people than just my immediate family and that could totally blow my title.

It really wasn't so bad today. Both kids were rather lethargic which meant they didn't have the energy to pick on each other or bother to touch things they know they aren't allowed to touch. Neither of them ate much and poor Will, every time he tried to eat he would cough and then throw up. During lunch, as his noodles decided to make a reappearance and I reached over, caught it in his bib, cleaned up the bib, got him a new bib, washed my hands, and went right back to eating my lunch. Isn't throw up supposed to gross me out? Nope, just part of life anymore I suppose.

After their nap things started going down hill. Will was still content just hanging out looking at a book and not moving much. Marcus was content being held and being completely cuddly with me. It was a nice change from the manic behavior that I am used to. That was until the fevers got high enough that we felt it was in our best interest to medicate our kids. They suddenly felt like their old selves and danced around, practiced jumping, and did some amazing out of control spinning in circles all while Greg and I tried to keep them calm so they didn't over do it.

Monday is grocery shopping day and because we decided not to be cruel parents, we opted to put them to bed and then I would get the grocery shopping done on my own. I was driving home from the store, listening to some great music and just feeling so... well, like me! I mean, like me the me that is something other than just a mom. The groceries got unpacked and I was off. Just me and the pooch. We went for a great stroll around the neighborhood. The air was just crisp enough to be refreshing without it being too cold. We got our hearts pumping. And when we reached the big hill I wasn't pushing and extra 50+ pounds in front of me. I just felt light!

What a perfect start the events that are about to transpire. Tomorrow marks the kickoff to the Spring AK (that's me!) Concert Tour. Woohoo!! Currently there are three concerts on the agenda and I am working on setting up a fourth if I can find someone to go with me. (Anyone want to go see Billy Joel with me?) Bring on the babysitters because this hot momma is getting ready to rock it out!

1 Comments:
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Cara said...

fun lives we lead huh?

glad you got out for a walk with the dog! i took the boys for a quick one this afternoon despite the cool air....

when is billy joel? i've seen him, it's a great show and i might consider seeing him again. let's chat about that

 

Post a Comment

<< Home